O. C. J. Okocha, OFR, SAN, JP.
Onueze Chukwujinka Joe Okocha, OFR, SAN, JP, DSSRS is the Founder and Managing Solicitor of the Law Firm of OKOCHA & OKOCHA. He is a former Attorney-General and Commissioner of Justice of Rivers State, a Past President of the Nigerian Bar Association, a Life Member of the Honourable Body of Benchers (the highest body of excellence in the Legal Profession in Nigeria, which is charged with the statutory responsibility of admitting Lawyers to the Nigerian Bar), a former member of the National Judicial Council (NJC) from 2010 to 2014, and was the Chairman of the Council of Legal Education from 2012 to 2016, among numerous other professional appointments.
He was awarded the distinguished National Honour of Member of the Order of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (MFR) in 2004. He was also awarded the distinguished National Honour of Officer of the Order of the Federal Republic (OFR) in 2022.
He is a proud alumnus of both the prestigious University of Ife, Ile-Ife (now the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife), where he obtained his LLB in 1977, and the University College London (UCL) of the University of London, United Kingdom, where he obtained his LLM in 1980.
He was called to the Bar in Nigeria in 1978, and was conferred with the rank of Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) in 1995.
He is renowned for his expertise in general litigation, property law litigation and oil compensation claims. He has published several articles on general litigation and other professional matters.
In his spare time, he enjoys travelling and watching movies.
- Member, Nigerian Bar Association
- Member, International Bar Association
PROFESSIONAL HONOURS AND LEADERSHIP POSITIONS:
- Secretary, Nigerian Bar Association, Port Harcourt Branch (1986 – 1989)
- Member, National Executive Committee, Nigerian Bar Association (1986 – 1989, and 1998 till date)
- Notary Public of Nigeria (appointed 1989)
- Honourable Attorney-General and Commissioner of Justice, Rivers State, Nigeria (1990 – 1992)
- Member, Disciplinary Committee of the Nigerian Bar Association (1990 – 1992)
- Member, International Bar Association (1991 till date)
- Chairman, Nigerian Bar Association, Port Harcourt Branch (1994 – 1996)
- Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) (conferred in 1995)
- Member, Rules Committee of the High Court of Rivers State, Nigeria (1996 – 2001 and 2004 – 2006)
- Member, Editorial Board of the Revised Edition of the Laws of Rivers State of Nigeria (appointed in 1997)
- Member, Federal Judicial Service Commission (2000 – 2005)
- President, Nigerian Bar Association (2000 – 2002)
- Alternate Chairman, Disciplinary Committee of the Nigerian Bar Association (2003 – 2006)
- Nigerian Bar Association Nominee/Member, Honourable Body of Benchers (appointed in 2003)
- Member, Order of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (MFR) (awarded in 2004)
- Chairman, Judiciary Committee of the Nigerian Bar Association (2005 – 2006)
- Life Bencher (appointed in 2007)
- Member, National Judicial Council (2010 – 2014)
- Chairman, Council of Legal Education (2012 – 2016)
- Vice Chairman, Body of Benchers (2019 – 2020)
- Chairman, Body of Benchers (2020 – 2021)
- Officer of the Order of the Federal Republic (OFR) (awarded in 2022)
- Tel. No: (+234) 803 309 8990
- Email: email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com